Product images for online retailPIMPaPic
A picture is worth a thousand words. The saying is more relevant than ever in the age of e-commerce. Very few customers have time and leisure to read through long descriptions. Anyone who buys on the Internet wants one thing above all to make the right purchase decision: good product images.
Good product images convince to buy
In the pictures, the product must not only be easily recognizable and photographed from all sides, but also perfectly staged.
According to statistics from the online platform Etsy, the right photos are the decisive aspect in the purchase decision. 90% of respondents said that the quality of the product image had prompted them to buy. Thus, the visual impression for customers was much more important than the price, which was decisive for 83% of buyers, or the shipping costs, which only affected 76% of customers. Even the reviews of the other customers, at 73%, were not as important for the product selection as what the buyers could see with their own eyes through good product photos.
In other words, great photos make products irresistible. These may also cost one or the other euro more, if only the picture is stimulating enough.
This is not surprising. Unlike shopping in the real world, where the goods can be checked with all their senses, when shopping online, customers only have pictures available to get an impression of the characteristics of the product.
Online retailers should therefore not underestimate the importance of good product images.
Let only experts create your product images
Ideally, retailers should hire a photographer who specializes in product photography and later have the images professionally edited by experts . It is important that the product always shows its best side. Scratches, stains, fingerprints or wrinkles should ideally be removed in the photo studio. However, if this is not possible or something has been overlooked, the photo retouching comes to the rescue in post-processing. We are happy to take over your product photography / post-production .
Amazon's Guidelines for Product Photos
The major platforms of e-commerce know the importance of good product photos. Uniformity of images is important to give a shop or platform, as in the case of Amazon, a clean, tidy and clear appearance. For this reason, Amazon in particular is very strict with the specifications for the image that will be shown later in the thumbnail. In addition to the general quality criteria, there are a long series of specifications that must be adhered to.
- Main images must always have a pure white background on Amazon. Thus, compliance with the background of the product pages is guaranteed. Here the cropping is necessary, even if a neutral background was used for the photo.
- The main images must show the product as it is without graphics or illustrations and must not show any additional accessories or elements that could be confusing. Text elements are also not allowed.
- The product must occupy at least 85% of the image surface (on the longest side).
- The images must have a height or width of at least 1,000 pixels. With this minimum size, you can activate the zoom function on the website. This is very important in order to give customers a close look at the product. Amazon accepts JPEG (.jpg), TIFF (.tif), or PNG (.png) file formats. JPEG is the optimal format.
- Amazon accepts JPEG (.jpg), TIFF (.tif), or PNG (.png) file formats. JPEG is the optimal format.